It only takes a moment for an accident to happen. A distracted or drowsy driver causes a car crash, or business fails to maintain its property and causes a fall. Perhaps hospital staff are careless in dispensing medication or a company manufactures a product that breaks or fails to operate as intended, causing harm. While these scenarios can occur quickly, their consequences can be severe and long-lasting.
Businesses and private citizens have a duty to behave in a manner that promotes the safety of others as much as possible. When they fail in that duty, they can be held responsible for the serious injuries, or even deaths, that result.
If you or a loved has suffered injuries because of another person’s or a manufacturer’s negligence, we hope you can find the answers you need. In addition to the numerous resources we share on this site, you can reach our experienced Florida legal team at 305-707-7345 or through our online contact form.
What Is a Personal Injury?
A personal injury case can be filed when one person suffers an injury, either physical or emotional, for which another person may be responsible. These lawsuits are intended to provide compensation for the medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering of the victim.
The victim in these cases becomes the plaintiff in a civil case when they begin legal proceedings against the person they want to hold responsible. The case can be settled through a trial, or as is often the case, through negotiations between the parties. In Florida, victims have four years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim. After that, the court will likely refuse to hear the case. For grievances against a government body, the limit is three years from the date of the accident.
Types of Cases Our Miami Firm Handles
At the Izquierdo Law Firm, P.A., we handle many different types of personal injury cases. Every situation is unique, and our team is dedicated to protecting the rights of each victim. By taking on a limited number of cases each month, Daniel Izquierdo has the time and resources necessary to fight for victims of:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Slips and falls
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Birth injuries
- Dog bites
If you are unsure if your case fits into one of these categories, or if you even have a case at all, don’t hesitate to contact the Izquierdo Law Firm, P.A., at 305-707-7345. If you have suffered injuries in an accident that have negatively affected your life, we can help. You don’t have to bear all the consequences for someone else’s mistake or negligence.
Kinds of Compensation Available for Florida Personal Injury Victims
The purpose of a personal injury case is to provide for the future of the victim when he cannot go about his life as he did before the accident. Specific types of compensation are available, and each one is subject to review by the courts. Some possible payments may include money for:
- Medical expenses – A personal injury award typically includes compensation for medical care related to the injury. This can be reimbursement for care already received, as well as the cost of future care.
- Lost wages – If the injury limits the victim’s ability to work and earn income, the court can award money for that lost income. Similar to medical expenses, this can cover both wages lost since the injury and to cover the loss of future earning potential.
- Lost benefits – This compensation can cover any non-wage benefits from the victim’s employer that are lost due to the injury.
- Pain and suffering – Compensation for pain and suffering can cover both physical and mental stresses. This type of award is determined at the judge or jury’s discretion.
- Future needs – Any reasonable anticipated needs can be compensated if they are related directly to the injury.
- Property loss – If a vehicle or other property was damaged in the accident, victims can be reimbursed for the repair or replacement of the property.
There are many types of compensation available for victims of a personal injury. After an accident or injury many private citizens, businesses and insurance companies are out to protect their own interests and may not be forthcoming when it comes to paying the true value a claim against them. The skilled attorney at the Izquierdo Law Firm, P.A., is dedicated to helping victims understand their rights and vigorously representing his clients to protect their futures.
Call Our Miami Office to Find Answers Today
Daniel Izquierdo understands how frustrating and difficult life can be after an accident. Let him help you learn more about your case and what to do next. Call the office at 305-707-7345 or take a moment to fill out the online contact form to schedule a free, confidential consultation today.