I was arrested for DUI, what is this going to cost me?
If you have been charged with a DUI in Miami, the cost of even a first conviction can be much more damaging and harmful than the costs of fighting your arrest/charge. Florida has some of the toughest DUI laws and penalties in the country and after a first conviction for a DUI you may be facing costs including:
- Fines – $500-$1,000 (if Blood/Breath alcohol level of .15 or higher or minor children in the car, the fine is between $1,000-$2,000);
- Court costs/surcharges – approximately $600-$650;
- DUI School – $250-$400;
- Treatment (if required) – approximately $250-$500
- Probation – approximately $55 per month ($330-$660) to cover the cost of supervision while on probation (period of probation and incarceration may not exceed one year);
- Vehicle Impoundment or Immobilization – approximately $150 for 10 days or $300 for 90 days;
- Ignition Interlock (mandatory for BAL of .15 and above) – $200;
- Victim Impact Panel – $40
- Cost of prosecution – $50
- Cost Recovery – As determined and requested by law enforcement;
- Donation – $25 Ryder Trauma Center
In addition, after a Florida DUI conviction, you are likely to see a considerable increase in your auto insurance rates. To make matters worse, a DUI conviction could affect your ability to get to work, prevent you from getting certain jobs in the future, impact your ability to get a loan, make you ineligible for scholarships, obtain a professional license or even get you fired from your current job. On the other hand, you may be able to avoid all of this by fighting your DUI charge in Florida.
By seeking the help of a Miami DUI defense attorney, you may be able to build a defense to the charge of DUI and better your current circumstances avoid many of the harsh penalties associated with DUI in Florida.
What does a DUI lawyer in Miami cost?
There are no hard-and-fast rules when it comes to legal fees charged by attorneys to defend your DUI. Criminal defense and particularly DUI defense seems to have some of the largest discrepancies or ranges of fees charged by lawyers. The typical range for a DUI lawyer can be anywhere from $800 to $10,000 for a first offense DUI.
As a general rule of thumb, the “plea mills” or the “dump truck” lawyers tend to charge unreasonably low fees because of the amount of work they tend to put in on your behalf. They usually go to court a couple of times and convince you to take a plea without really exploring options that are available to you or actually fighting your case. Remember: it’s tough to offer excellent service, high quality of work AND a low price. If you are shopping solely on price you will most likely sacrifice the other two qualities.
Beware, there are some terrible DUI lawyers charging extremely high legal fees and some good DUI attorneys charging their clients’ much more reasonable fees. Therefore, price alone should not be the only determining factor when you are making your decision on what DUI lawyer to hire.
Most good DUI lawyers that focus primarily on DUI defense will charge anywhere between $4,000 and $10,000 (some even more). The better DUI lawyers charge fees that are reasonable for the amount of work they do, because properly fighting a DUI charge requires a lot of work.
If you are interested in learning more about how I can help you, call, (305) 707-7345 to schedule a consultation, or fill out our DUI Intake Form and I will quickly contact you to discuss your case.