One minute you are out celebrating with family and friends, enjoying a good time and feeling confident in your future. The next minute, you find yourself in the back of a police car, charged with a DUI. Life can change in an instant. In Florida, that instant can have serious, lifelong repercussions. In addition to the stigma of a DUI, a conviction can mean professional trouble, financial burden, and personal unhappiness. One mistake, however, does not have to dictate your whole future.
If you are visiting our website today because you have been charged with a DUI in the state of Florida, our experienced defense team can help protect your rights. Call our office at (305) 707-7345 or fill out a contact form to get started fighting your charge today.
Florida DUIs Have Strict and Inflexible Consequences
Driving under the influence in the state of Florida is defined as the impairment of normal faculties while operating a vehicle at a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08 percent or higher. The Florida legal system addresses DUI charges very seriously. If you have been charged with a DUI, you are facing potentially life-altering consequences. In this state, a DUI conviction:
- Means a mandatory criminal conviction. A criminal conviction is more serious than a felony.
- Is permanent. Florida law does not allow for your record to ever be sealed or expunged.
- Will increase insurance rates for years to come. After a DUI conviction, insurance rates will rise as much as $5,000 per year for the next three to five years, regardless of whether you continue to own and operate a vehicle.
- Could result in suspended or revoked driving privileges. A first offense can mean loss of driving privileges for up to one year. Subsequent charges carry increasingly longer penalties.
- Can affect professional status. College students can be suspended or expelled. Others can face the loss of professional licensing, military security clearance, immigration status, or admission to graduate school.
A DUI conviction can have far-reaching consequences, not just for you—but for family, friends, and business partners, as well. Many people charged with DUI have never had a run-in with the law. They are honest, educated, hard-working people who deserve a second chance. The Izquierdo Law firm can help, but it is important to act quickly to protect your rights.
Quick Action Is Necessary to Protect Your Rights
Once the handcuffs click, the clock starts to tick! In Florida, your license will be suspended immediately after you either register a BAC of .08 percent or higher or you refuse a test. The police will issue a temporary license that is valid for 10 days from the date of arrest.
The 10-day rule states you have only those 10 days to challenge the suspension of your license. Challenges are heard by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles and all that has to be demonstrated is that the driver more than likely had an illegal BAC or refused the test.
The Izquierdo Law Firm aggressively attempts to invalidate these suspensions, given the seriousness of DUI convictions. Recent changes to Florida law allow a few avenues to challenge the suspension and retain driving privileges. A skilled attorney can help clients protect their rights and retain as many freedoms as possible.
Florida DUI Convictions Carry Severe Financial Consequences
In addition to the possible personal and professional repercussions, a DUI conviction can cause serious financial strain. Pleading guilty to a DUI charge can be more damaging financially than the price of an effective lawyer. Fees can include:
- Fines. Can be as much as $2,000 depending on the severity of the DUI charge.
- Court costs. Approximately $650.
- DUI school. Up to $400.
- Treatment. Though not always required, it can cost up to $500.
- Probation. Up to $55 a month for one year to cover the cost of supervision.
- Vehicle impoundment. Depending on the length of time, can cost from $150 to $500.
- Ignition interlock charge. Mandatory in some cases, installing this system on a vehicle can cost $200.
In addition, a DUI conviction will increase your insurance rate by thousands of dollars each year for up to five years. On top of all these costs, a conviction could also affect your ability to earn income by preventing you from getting to work, disqualifying you from future jobs, promotions, or scholarships. It may even get you fired from your current job.
Types of DUI Cases Our Florida Team Handles
At the Izquierdo Law Firm, our team is dedicated to providing a zealous defense for the good people of Florida. Daniel Izquierdo has handled many DUI cases in the past and knows what it takes to mitigate the serious consequences of a DUI charge. Taking on a limited number of clients every month allows his team the time and energy necessary to build both a genuine personal relationship and an aggressive defense for DUI cases and issues regarding:
- Underage DUI
- Boating Under the Influence
- Out-of-State DUI
- DUI Diversion
- DUI Sealing and Expungement
Call Our Experienced Miami DUI Lawyer Today to Start Protecting Your Rights
Daniel Izquierdo understands the frustration and fear that accompany a DUI charge. That’s why he is dedicated to helping the honest, hard-working people of Florida protect their rights and retain their freedom. If you need help fighting a DUI charge, call our Miami office today at (305) 707-7345 or take a moment to fill out our contact form for a swift response from a member of our experienced legal team.