Florida has some of the toughest DUI laws of anywhere in the nation. After being arrested for DUI you are in for quite possibly the fight of your life. You need to be educated and fully prepared for what lies ahead, that’s why I urge you,before you speak to ANY lawyer about your DUI, read my FREE consumer guide: “It’s Not Just A Traffic Ticket: A Six-Pack of Questions That Can Cause a Hangover after a DUI Arrest”. This FREE book provides information on how to hire a DUI lawyer in Florida and answers a six pack of questions that cause a hangover after a DUI arrest.
When you are arrested for DUI, these are the penalties you are facing:
- $500 — $1,000 fine
- Up to 6 months in jail; 9 months if blood/breath alcohol level .15 or higher, or minor children were in the car
- Up to 1 year probation
- Mandatory 50 hours of community service
- Six-month license revocation for blood/breath alcohol level of .08 and above
- One-year license revocation for refusal to submit to breath, blood or urine test
- 10-day vehicle impoundment
- $1,000 — $2,000 fine
- Up to 9 months in jail; 1 year with BAL of .15 or higher, or minor children in vehicle
- If second convicted within 5 years of the first, mandatory 10 days jail
- 30-day vehicle impoundment
- Minimum license revocation of 6 months
- 5-year license revocation if convicted within 5 years of your first DUI offense
- $1,000 — $2,000 fine; or fine of $2,000 — $5,000 if convicted within 10 years
- Up to 12-months jail if conviction is more than 10 years
- Minimum jail sentence of 30 days if convicted within 10 years
- Felony DUI if within 10 years of prior conviction
- 10-year license revocation if convicted within 10 years of second DUI offense; may apply for hardship reinstatement after two years
- 90-day vehicle impoundment if within 10 years of first conviction
- $2,000 fine (minimum)
- Up to 5 years in prison, or as provided in § 775.084, Florida Statutes as a habitual/violent offender
- Mandatory permanent license revocation; no hardship reinstatement
As you can see, if you have been charged with a DUI in Miami, the cost of even a first offense can be extremely damaging and harmful to your bank account, liberty and future. Florida has some of the toughest DUI laws and penalties in the country, even for first-time offenders of DUI.
Not to mention, after a Florida DUI conviction, you are likely to see some of the unseen, or collateral consequences of a DUI, starting with a considerable increase in your auto insurance rates. To make matters worse, a DUI conviction could affect your ability to get to work, prevent you from getting certain jobs in the future, impact your ability to get a loan, make you ineligible for scholarships, obtain a professional license or even get you fired from your current job. You may be able to avoid all of this by fighting your DUI charge in Miami.
Seek the help of a Miami DUI defense attorney, you may be able to build a defense to your DUI and better your current circumstances, avoiding many of the harsh penalties associated with DUI in Florida.
I welcome the opportunity to see you for a confidential consultation to discuss your case, goals and potential defenses. Call, (305) 707-7345, to schedule a consultation, or by fill out my DUI Intake Form.
I invite you to contact me to see how I can help.
Do You Need A Miami DUI Defense Laywer?
If you find yourself charged with DUI in Miami you need to speak with an experienced DUI attorney as soon as possible. Please contact me online or call my Coral Gables office directly at 305.707.7345. You should also download my free book "A Six Pack Of Questions That Can Cause A Hangover After A DUI Arrest". This free download provides valuable information and answers to questions about DUI charges that can give you the best chance at winning your case.